Sunday, June 7, 2009

spic and span

As most of you know, Josh and I moved this past week in to our new house! We are still living in a sea of boxes, so once I get though more of them, I will post some pics. Anyway, moving into the new house means renting out the "little house". We've lined up a family to start renting our home next week, so on top of all the work we're doing on the new house, we had to have the little house spic and span too. Throughout the past week, my parents, Josh, and I have been cleaning where we can, but yesterday I went there for a final time to vacuum and mop the floors. I did my usual sweep, vacuum, and mop regiment on the wood floors and tile areas. That usually works fine for me. It gets the wood looking nice and shiny and gets the dirt off the tile... So I thought! This time, I decided to get down on my hands and knees and scrub each and every tile to give it a deep cleaning. I want to leave the house in excellent condition, so that our renters will want to do the same (I hope!). When I started scrubbing, I discovered what filth we were living with this whole time! It's amazing what a scrubber brush, 409, and some elbow grease will do!
Check out my nasty, dirty tile before...

During...

and after...

Wow! I was so happy that all that scrubbing made such a difference, but at the same time, I was disgusted that we were living on that dirty floor all this time! Gross!

5 comments:

  1. There's nothing more satisfying {in housework} than to see the fruits of your labors at the end of the job! It looks GREAT, and I hope you get some good people in there that will appreciate your hard work! Congrats on the new home - you guys have done a beautiful job on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh the joys of moving. we've been through it so many times and it never gets easier. you're right though, the satisfaction afterwords is totally worth it. i love moving into a new place, getting everything unpacked and putting out touch on it. i'd definitely rather have someone else do the elbow grease part for me though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did the same thing a few months ago and thought I was going to vomit when I saw the before during and after! Sad thing is, I think we're back where we started now!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You crack me up! "I discovered what filth we were living in that whole time!" Thank goodness for dark tile! Good pick on your new house flooring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yikes! Tile is hard to keep clean, anyway. Just think of all the time you saved not cleaning it, haha..jk. Actually, didn't you have a cleaning lady? Maybe she should have done a better job. In the future, Stanley Steamer does a great job cleaning tile and grout.

    ReplyDelete