Saturday, January 9, 2010

Dining In Tonight

Josh and I experimented with making a Greek Pizza tonight.  We’ve had a similar pizza before with The Pernecky’s, but this was a first for us actually making it.  I originally got the idea from a Rachael Ray recipe, but we tweaked it a little.  It turned out so great, so I wanted to share the recipe with you...

You’ll Need:

  • Pre-made pizza dough
  • 1 medium onion - chopped
  • 3-4 cloves of garlic
  • fresh spinach
  • nutmeg, salt and pepper
  • 1/2 lb. cooked gyro meat (we got ours from a local Greek restaurant, – you can also sub chicken if you like)
  • 1 pint grape tomatoes
  • feta cheese crumbles
  • mozzarella cheese - shredded

Roll out pre-made pizza dough (we got ours from the Publix bakery) and bake at 450 degrees until golden brown.

While the crust is browning, sauté an onion and a few cloves of grated garlic and season with nutmeg, salt and pepper.  Then add in a few handfuls of fresh spinach until it wilts. 

When the crust is ready, pull it out of the oven and top it with Tzatziki Sauce.  Add the sliced grape tomatoes and the sautéed onion mixture.  Top with cooked gyro meat, and finish off with feta crumbles and mozzarella cheese.

IMG_6683.1

Pop the pizza back into the oven until the cheese is melted.  (about 15 min.)

Here is the finished product! 

IMG_6692.1

I made a side salad to go with our dinner, but the pizza was so good that we didn’t even touch the salad!  I guess I’ll have it for leftovers tomorrow.

Let me know if you try this recipe.   I know you will love it!

Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. Yummo! :) Maybe next time Im on your side of town I can come for lunch!

    -kc

    http://ababynamednathan.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply Delicioso! What a great date night in :)

    Ok, so now I have to try this...we love anything Greek! The Snickerdoodles were so yummy...used your recipe :) Can't wait to give the pizza a whirl

    Many Hugs,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, yum, yum! My stomach literally started growling as I read this post; looks dee-lish! Time for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Side salad? I do not understand that kind of terminology...

    Gyro meat is AWESOME! Protip: Make sure YOU'RE the one going to pick up the gyro meat, that way you can snag a few pieces while it's piping hot! Not that I have any experience in this area....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, I'm going to HAVE to make this! It looks fantastic! Man! Where's the gyro meat when you need it?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg this looks so good! I have to try this one night my hubby is home!

    ReplyDelete