Tuesday, June 8, 2010

“Try”- Athlete

I went with my friend Amy to her Triathlon Training group tonight.  They meet a couple times a week to swim, bike, or run in preparation for upcoming races.  A lot of the women that are a part of this group started off not being able to swim a lap or run a mile, and they are now completing marathons!  Amy has been asking me to go for some time now, but I always declined because I didn’t think I was up to the challenge.  I can barely swim the length of a pool without getting winded!  So, tonight I finally gave in and went.  I didn’t know what to expect, but I grabbed my running shoes and packed up my bike and went. 

When we got there and unloaded, I felt like I stuck out like a sore thumb!  All the girls that were a part of the group were decked out in their biker gear.  They had their fancy speed bikes, padded biker shorts, special shoes that attach to the bike pedals, fancy water bottles, and helmets!  I, on the other hand, had Josh’s mountain bike (my bike’s tires were completely flat), regular running shoes, a bottle of water but no bottle holder on my bike, no helmet; nothing fancy!  I just looked like a regular girl about to go on a cruise on her bicycle. 

                Them.

   Me – Well, that’s not me, it’s Pamela Anderson, but you get the idea of how out of place I felt!beach cruise

     

As we hopped on our bikes, one of the leaders said very nonchalantly, “We’re just gonna bike 5 miles up, 5 miles back, and then we’ll do a quick run; 1 mile up, 1 mile back.  Okay!  Let’s go!”  Wait.  What?!?  I’m no math wiz, but 5 miles there and 5 miles back equals 10 miles, plus 2 more miles running equals a lot of exercise!  Without much hesitation, I began pedaling and away we all went!

Half way back on the bike portion, one of the leaders who was riding next to me realized that I didn’t have a helmet on.  She kind of freaked out about it and then called back to the other leader to point it out.  I felt like a freak show; the only one stupid enough to ride a bike without a helmet!  Oh, I am such a rule breaker! :)  Apparently, it’s the law to wear a helmet when riding a bike?  I wasn’t aware of that.  So anyway, we agreed that I wouldn’t ride anymore until I invest in a helmet. 

All in all, I felt really good about my workout and was able to keep up with everyone!  It was 100 degrees today with the heat index, so I was glad I was able to hang! 

10 comments:

  1. How awesome that you were able to join in on the fun. Good for you! Glad you had a good night with your friend! I needed to be reminded that it's okay to try new things so thanks for inspiring me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rebel you. :-) glad you were able to do the whole 12 miles. You were able to right? I can't even walk half a mile without my legs feeling like they are gonna fall off. You go girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudo's to you for hanging! That is awesome!

    I like that you took this gig for a "test ride" before investing in all the gear ;) Now, if you are interested in going again you can go out and get a super cute helmet! Oh, and a water bottle holder belt thing a ma jig ;)

    HUGS and Happy Peddling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You are amazing! Great job for keeping up with everyone! I've been wanting to train for a triathalon, but I'm like you, a little intimidated! But I have no excuse not to swim with a pool here, but I haven't invested in a bike yet, that's next on the list!! Keep us informed on your progress that sounds amazing!!

    And I've totally felt that stick out like a sore thumb feeling, going to run with 'real' runners, but now I look like them, so train on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm giving kudos too for you doing that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm currently training for a triath, and it is HARD! I applaud you for going out and riding/running!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is just too damn funny. I am happy you finished. Oh and bike helmet law?? Never heard of such a thing? Maybe if it was a motorcycle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was very brave for you to go & even more impressive that you were able to hang with the pros! Nice work, Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job! But you didn't wear Uggs like Pam Anderson did you? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lol... Ur pictures are hilarious!!!
    I love that you went out there! That's so awesome!! Don't worry about sticking out...everyone's been there, I was EXTREMELY out of place when I started....It doesn't matter if you have gear or not, what matters is you're out there! My mantra is FWD...finish without dying:) You'll have to come up here during the summer & do a sprint with ma & me:) <3 you!!

    ReplyDelete