Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Bridge to 10k

I've blogged a lot in the past about my progress with the Couch to 5k running app.  I think it is such a great way for anyone that wishes they were a runner to become one.  It really takes you from the couch to running a 5k in about 9 weeks!  I’ve been comfortably running 3.5 miles for quite awhile now, so I figured it was time to step it up a bit.  I started the Bridge to 10k about 2 weeks ago.  What I want to do is master a 10k (6.4 miles) so that I can take on a 1/2 marathon.  It is something to work towards, and I know I can do it.  Really, the mental challenge is the most difficult; that, and finding the time to run long distances.  B210k takes you from running 15 minutes and walking 1 minute (repeat 3 times) in week 1 to running 60 minutes straight.  Sounds crazy, right?  Well, that is what I about B25k at first to, but it is totally obtainable!  Promise!


I’m no pro or anything, but I thought I’d share a few tips and tricks with you that I have picked up along the way to help to get you through those runs:
  •  MUSIC!  I am a House music junkie, so I’ve got a few Pandora channels programmed to keep me movin.  Also, be sure to save the loudest volume setting for your last run of your workout.  Trust me on this one.  If you turn up your jams as you begin your last running stretch, it will give you that little extra oomph that you need.
  • MAP OUT YOUR PATH.  Plan where you are going to run.  I found that if I just find my way as I run, I am more apt to cut my run short and just head back home.  I am most productive when I run on the trail that snakes through my neighborhood.  It’s long enough, the scenery is nice and always changing, there are no streets to cross, etc.  So if you are lucky enough to have a nice jogging trail near by, definitely use that. 
  • BREATHE!  I hear most people complaining about trying to catch their breath as they run.  I discovered a nice breathing technique that works well for me.  Try, one slow breath in through your nose and two out through your mouth to the pace of your step.  Also, when your running app tells you to walk, use that time to deep breathe.  It helps prevent me from getting cramps. 
  • SHOES!  One thing I love about running is that it is so low maintenance.  You literally only need a pair of good running shoes and you are ready to go!  No gym membership, no special equipment, no scheduled classes, just step out your front door and go!
  • STRETCH.  I’ll do a little stretching before I run, but I like to do a little more after I am warmed up or at my half way point.  Also, be sure to stretch, stretch, stretch as you cool down!

Well, I hope I have inspired some of you to get movin!  It’s fun – yes, I actually find running as fun.  I never thought I’d say that! 

2 comments:

  1. Such a timely post! I recently started back at the gym about 3 weeks ago after taking a few years off to be married and get pleasantly plump. :) I've never been a runner but am pushing myself to at least try, so I'm just getting started with the C25K app on my phone so I can run a 5K in March and hopefully, another in April. You're so right...it's totally mind over matter. During yesterday's attempt (day 1, week 1), I gave up about 15 minutes in, but dummy me also did about 20 minutes on the t-mill when I got to the gym (of brisk walking and some walking lunges) then did a brief leg workout, so I was pretty spent. BUT, I wanted to give up at least 5 different times before I finally did, but kept telling myself "just one more minute of jogging". I managed to continue 10 minutes longer than i felt capable of doing! I really appreciate the tip about deep breathing during the walking phase. I think that will help because I do get cramps after about 15 minutes. Good luck on your B210K!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can totally do this! I'm 50 years old and started running 4 years ago. I only ran 5Ks and then one day a friend had challenged me to do the Chicago Marathon. I trained hard, ran a half marthon (2.5 hours), and then did the big one this past fall. I never in a million years would have thought, at my age, I could run for 5 straight hours! You are so right when you said it's mind over matter. I didn't follow any training, I listened to my body and did one long run a week and daily health club workouts. I think it's more of a cardio thing. If I would have continued running long runs more then once a week, I would have put too much strain on my body before the race. Talk to friends that have done long runs, listen to them, and take from it what will work for you:) I can't begin to tell you how exciting it is to run past the finish line...totally worth it! Good luck:))

    ReplyDelete