I’m no pro or anything, but I thought I’d share a few tips and tricks with you that I have picked up along the way to help to get you through those runs:
- MUSIC! I am a House music junkie, so I’ve got a few Pandora channels programmed to keep me movin. Also, be sure to save the loudest volume setting for your last run of your workout. Trust me on this one. If you turn up your jams as you begin your last running stretch, it will give you that little extra oomph that you need.
- MAP OUT YOUR PATH. Plan where you are going to run. I found that if I just find my way as I run, I am more apt to cut my run short and just head back home. I am most productive when I run on the trail that snakes through my neighborhood. It’s long enough, the scenery is nice and always changing, there are no streets to cross, etc. So if you are lucky enough to have a nice jogging trail near by, definitely use that.
- BREATHE! I hear most people complaining about trying to catch their breath as they run. I discovered a nice breathing technique that works well for me. Try, one slow breath in through your nose and two out through your mouth to the pace of your step. Also, when your running app tells you to walk, use that time to deep breathe. It helps prevent me from getting cramps.
- SHOES! One thing I love about running is that it is so low maintenance. You literally only need a pair of good running shoes and you are ready to go! No gym membership, no special equipment, no scheduled classes, just step out your front door and go!
- STRETCH. I’ll do a little stretching before I run, but I like to do a little more after I am warmed up or at my half way point. Also, be sure to stretch, stretch, stretch as you cool down!
Well, I hope I have inspired some of you to get movin! It’s fun – yes, I actually find running as fun. I never thought I’d say that!