Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Haden’s Room Makeover

Taylor’s room re-do sparked another fun project!  Marc’s been wanting to makeover Haden’s room for awhile now.  He’s had pretty much the same room since he was a baby, minus the crib of course, so it was time for a more mature room.  Haden loves to fish and loves baseball – a pretty typical boy!  So, we wanted to incorporate that into his room, but I wanted to also give it some style and continuity. 

I got the main inspiration for his room from a Pottery Barn Teen bedding set, and it developed from there:

5

You can find the links on my board here.

His room before was a hot mess!  It needed some serious work!  He’s what I like to call a hoarder collector… He needed to purge, organize, and his room needed a design.  His whole room makeover was a surprise.  We did it this weekend while he wasn’t home.  The week prior, he helped by just getting rid of toys and books that he didn’t want any more.  I am kicking myself for not getting any before pics!!!  Guess you’ll just have to trust me, because this was a huge transformation….

 

I used the same type of idea for his focal wall as I did in Tay’s room, but did horizontal lines instead.  More manly, don’t ya think?

I used a light gray (Silver Bells) as the main wall color and a navy blue (Admiralty) as the accent horizontal stripe color from Porter Paint.

wall 

Haden is one lucky boy to have a new bedroom set of furniture too.  I ixnayed the whole matching bedroom furniture idea, and encouraged him to just go with the bed and a dresser.  The rest we’d coordinate together and make the room look less “matchy matchy”.

6

The shark bedding is on backorder, but here’s how it turned out without the comforter…

bed2

I added this Ikea (Besta cube in black/brown) cabinet across from the bed with orange accent bins for more functional storage.  Those cubes can hold a lot!  He’s got some empty space for room to grow now.

photo 4

The curtains where navy blue panels from Ikea, mounted high to accentuate the height of the ceiling and window.  They are also black-out, so when they are shut, not an ounce of light gets in.  I’m jealous and want these for MY room now!

window

Some of the fun details of the room include… an ocean painting canvas from Home Goods, more miscellaneous fish art work over the doors and a new updated lap shade on his pre-existing lamp from Lowes. 

details

And another fun detail, is the under-bed storage!  I love this idea!  More drawer space and open bins for toys or whatever!  Definitely some functional storage that can grow with him throughout the years!

storage 

Oh, and this fun candle holder that I found at Home Goods – thought it tied in with the room nicely, so I couldn’t resist!

photo 4 (2)

It was so fun doing this whole project for Hades – but the best part was the reveal!  He was shocked, speechless, and ever so grateful for the great room makeover!  I even got a handmade thank you card from Haden today that was all his idea.  So sweet!

Okay…what room can I decorate next?!?

2 comments: