Ever since we moved into our new house, I've intended on making a headboard for my guest bedroom. I've had the plywood for it for months, but that was as far as I got. One day when my neighbor Holly came by, she noticed my plywood in the garage and I told her what I planned to do with it. She's been wanting to make a headboard too, so we decided we'd tackle the project together!
Getting all the materials was probably the most difficult part. Holly got the 3" foam and batting, and I found my fabric at Ikea. Since I picked striped fabric, I had to buy extra to sew pieces together so that the stripes would be vertical. I decided on a 4' tall headboard to make it the focal point in the room.
Here's the Guest Room before, as I am measuring the fabric out.
Once we had all the materials together, Holly and Jamie came over and we sprawled everything out in the empty Bonus Room.
First we glued the foam to the plywood, then covered it all with a layer of batting. Next, we covered it with the fabric and stapled it all to the back.
And, Voila! The finished headboard!
I had some leftover fabric, so I made an accent pillow out of it. I think it really ties in the bedding with the headboard. Here is what the guest room looks like now!
While I was at Ikea picking out the fabric, I found this sheer, cream fabric that works perfectly as drapes for the room. It was on clearance, so I couldn't pass it up. I'd never sewn anything like this before, but it was really simple. Just a couple of hems, and you're done!