Friday, June 18, 2010

Up Up and Away!

We’ve been having the best time on our family vacation this week!  We’ve kept busy hanging around our most amazing rental house and getting out to see the sites. 

Yesterday, we took a gondola ride straight up the mountain side to about 9,000 feet!  The views were amazing, but I have to admit, I was pretty nervous from the heights!

IMG_9142  We went up, up and away in a tight, 12 person car that is suspended by just 2 cables!  Eek!

IMG_9159Once we were safely at the top, I held onto my little nieces for dear life!  My knees were wobbly from the thought of the heights, but it got easier the more time we spent up there.

IMG_9172IMG_9223

After a quick picnic, and feeding the swarming chipmunks, we hiked to the summit of the mountain.  Just as we got near the top, we started feeling a few random rain drops and feared the thunder wasn’t far behind, so we hustled back to catch the next gondola ride down.

We made it safely back down and the storm passed right by us.  It was a great day and continued to be a great evening as we grilled out at the house and made smores by the campfire.

Ahh, I love vacations!  It’s been so long since I’ve actually taken a whole week off from work.  I’ll have spend a week just digging myself out of the emails that accumulated, but that’s okay.  It was well worth it!

IMG_9216

3 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so jealous!!
    That last pic is breathtaking!!!!
    Hope you have a great rest of your trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like one amazing trip! So glad for you guys! ENJOY!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pictures! You didn't mention that the gondola "driver" said the cable was basically a 1/2 mile lightning rod!

    ReplyDelete