Monday, April 28, 2014

DIY {Comfy Cozy Blanket}

IMG_2185 

Taylor’s birthday is right around the corner.  When I asked her what she wanted, she quickly answered, “A Snow White blanket!!”   So, naturally, I had to find a way to make this happen for her….

I found this super comfy fabric that had all her favorite princesses on it, including Snow – so I knew that was the one!  To top it off, I got the comfy dot fabric for the other side.  I bought 1 yard of each, so when complete, this blanket will be about 3 x 5 feet! 

Here’s what you need:

1 yard of fleece

1 yard of dot fabric

thread, scissors, needle, and a sewing machine

This really is an easy project!  I have not broken out my sewing machine in probably 5 years, before today, but I was reminded how fun and rewarding it can be!  I first made her new smocked dress, then begun on the blanket.

IMG_2183
First, lay out your fabrics, so the pretty sides are facing each other.  Line them up and cut any access.  You may need to use a yard stick if you have one to make sure the sides are straight and square.  I didn’t have one, so I just eye balled it. 

IMG_2184

Begin pinning the sides together. 

IMG_2187

Sew the 4 sides of the blanket together inside out, but be sure to leave a few inch opening on one side so you can pull the blanket right side out.  Leave a part of one side open, but not a corner. 

Now, with the small opening you left, pull the blanket right-side out.  Then, hand stitch the opening together.

IMG_2189 

Iron your blanket, and then pick a few areas throughout the blanket to put a few hand stitches in.  This will keep the two layers of fabric from shifting and keep it lined up nicely.

IMG_2195

I have a feeling this will be one of her favorite things she gets for her birthday!  Funny how the littlest, most simple gifts can make them the happiest.  I can just picture her now, all curled up with her “princess cozy” watching a movie :)

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing fabulous information. It' s my pleasure to read it.I have also bookmarked you for checking out new posts.solar energy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you don't remember me but I made you the crochet sculpture of your babies. I am so happy to see that you had a healthy little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ack, I forgot to add that you made an adorable blanket. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't seen a new post in 4 months :-( Hope everything is ok :) hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Been a while since an update. Hope you all had a great summer and things are ok!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miss your posts! I hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete